Saturday, July 18, 2009

From Durang

"This is a really difficult play to do. It’s funny, and very perverse, and definitely the most x-rated of my plays. I feel I’ve never seen a production that totally hit the tone in my head – I’ve seen the funny farce, but I’ve never seen the moments where weird and unexpected sadness presses itself through. Maybe the play’s too silly for that to happen successfully. Though the bracing anger Sigourney Weaver brought to the part of Annabella went a long way to sort of moving the play from frantic sex farce to a kind of updated Electra story, the angry daughter wanting to kill a parent.
But the play as written always gets a little exhausting to sit through… it’s like a funny, strange dream you’d like to be over sooner than it actually gets over. However, when I cut 10 minutes from the script for the off-Broadway version, it didn’t really help, and the lost scene added a layer of craziness that the play missed. So I reinstated it. (It’s the scene where Lidia/Annabella drills holes in the ship, to try to make it sink.)
So I warn you: it’s very hard to do. And I feel it should be done by college, but not by high school students. I do still find it funny, though."


http://www.christopherdurang.com/OneActsLong-titanic.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment